2014, Reprinted in the Queensland Principal, Queensland, AU, 2014.
* Leadership for 21st Century Schools, 2014 the Ontario Principals’ Council Register spring 2014
* Collaborative School Reviews, Di Cecco & Freedman, 2013,
* Supporting pedagogical leadership: Building communities of practice –submission for AERA, 2014,
* School-based leadership, What does the research say? What are the learnings?, Santiago, Chile, 2012
* Implications for Principal Training, CSSE, Waterloo, 2012
* Outstanding Canadian Principals –implications for leadership, International principals’ Conference, Toronto, 2011
* Dancing at the Speed of Light, AERA, Denver, 2010
* Canada’s Outstanding Principals, CSSE, 2009
* Canada’s Outstanding Principals, Canadian Association of Principals’ conference, 2009
* Canada’s Outstanding Principals –spring 2009, Canadian Association of Principals’ Journal
* Gender and Leadership: Implications for Improvement. Presented at the Annual Meeting of AERA, New York, 2008
* Looking for leadership. Presented at the Annual Meeting of AERA, Chicago, 2007.
* Passive Modeling. A joint article with Dr. G. Biederman proposed for publication in JEIBI. January 2007.
* Women of Power. A Paper presented for Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society for Studies in Education (CSSE) at York University, may 2006.
* Women and Leadership. A Paper presented at AERA, Montreal, 2005.
* Closing the Achievement Gap: member of an international panel discussion, AERA, Montreal, 2005
* 4 Women of Power – Paper presented at Conference for Global Connections, Melbourne Australia, 2004
* Principal Training: Instructional Leadership – A paper presented for AARE in Melbourne Australia, 2004
* Classroom Walkthroughs: Increasing Principal Visibility: Research Report for Ontario Principals’ Association, 2004.
* Why Boys, Why Now? A paper presented at AERA in Chicago, 2003 (Freedman).
* Principal Visibility, Classroom Walkthroughs and Instructional Leadership – paper presented at the International Conference on School Effectiveness and Improvement, Sydney, 2003. (Freedman, Lafleur).
* Principals as Instructional Leaders – paper presented at AERA, New Orleans, 2002, (Freedman, Lafleur).
* Developing a School-Based Injury Prevention Program with a Teacher-Based Curriculum Writing Team – 6th World Conference on Injury Prevention, Montreal May 2002. (Freedman, Patterson, Mansfield).
* Meeting Injury Prevention Curricular Expectations: The Canadian Experience - 6th World Conference on Injury Prevention, Montreal May 2002. (Cusimano, Rodriguez, Freedman, Patterson, Mansfield, Ullrich).
* Walking the Talk of Teacher Supervision - Ontario Principals Council, June 2001
* The Assessment and Training Consortium: One Way of Making Sense of Accountability In Women’s Voices, Transitions in Education: A Turbulent Passage, , WEAO.1997
* The Transportation and Communication Chapter in Canada: A New Direction,
Fitzhenry and Whiteside, 1990
Review submissions for University of Calgary Journal of Education (2004),
Review submissions for papers for AARE (2004, 2012, nd 2013).
Continue System Level work with School Districts/Divisions including Durham DSB, Seine River SD, Thunder Bay Catholic DSB including reviews and leadership development and strategic planning. Collaboration with First nations including the Wikwemikong School Board, Manitoulin Island. Working with several independent Schools including pedagogical leadership, Collaborative Inquiry, and Learning Walks.
International Work in Norway, Israel and with delegations of International teams for principals through OISE/UToronto
* ICSEI -Marrakesh, Morocco, Teaming: The role of supervisors of principals
Coordinate a symposium on Wellness
* ICSEI - Stavanger, Norway, Reframing the role of Norwegian School Leaders
* Presentation to System Leaders in Santo Domingo, DR
* AERA on a virtual Tour of the Wikwemikong Board of Education: On Reserve Education & Engaging the Community
* AERA with Norwegian Colleagues on School leaders and Learning
* Toronto Post-Secondary Education Forum
* Coordinate an mPLAR (Mature Prior Learning Recognition) symposium for membersof the Toronto Regional Partnership for Adult Education
OPC, On community and Elder engagement with Garden River FN,
– Reviewer for American Education Research Association (AERA),
* 2017, Presenter at the International Congress for School Effectiveness and Improvement, ICSEI with Wikwemikong First Nation in Ottawa, Canada
* Pedagogical Leadership, Intentional and Visible School Administrators, 2015,
* Leadership for 21st Century Schools, 2014 the Ontario Principals’ Council Register spring
* (2017), ICSEI, Ottawa, Monitoring for Learning & Support from an On-reserve Perspective, with Wikwemikong Board of Education
present at learning Forward’s International Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada with Manitoba Colleagues on Collaborative Reviews,
* (2016), Learning Forward Annual Conference, December, Vancouver, M. Borgfjord (Manitoba), Collaborative School Reviews
* (2016), American Education Research Association (AERA), 2016, Washington DC, Global Collaborative Partnerships
* (2015) – Learning Forward Annual Conference, December with Karen Grose on 21st Century Leadership
* (2015), Quest Conference, Increasing Student Voice, York Region DSB
* (2014-2017) –Norway – Instructional Leadership
* (2014), Wikwemikong Board of Education Conference (October)
* (2014, 2015, 2016), Dominican Republic, Pedagogical Leadership
* (2013, 2014, 2015), Chile, Pedagogical leadership
* (2012) CSSE – Developing Quality Professional Learning for Exemplary Principals
* (2011) NOEL –Equity and Inclusive Education
* (2011) Qualities of Outstanding Principal –International Principals’ Conference (Toronto)
* (2011) Principal and Superintendent Relationships - CSSE
* (2010) AERA – Superintendent Visibility in Schools
* (2010) Canadian Association of Principals – Principal Leadership
* (2009) – AERA – Canada’s Outstanding Principals
* (2007) Welcome to Kindergarten (Gender and Literacy)
* (2007) Ontario Students’ At Risk Association (Gender)
* (2007) American Educational Research Association - Instructional Leadership – Chicago
* (2006) Ontario-wide Coaching Institute for Teachers
* (2006) Keynote Speaker for NOEL – Northern Ontario Educational Leaders on Literacy and Gender
* (2006) School Improvement, Northern Educational Authorities
* (2006) International Conference on School Improvement and Effectiveness – Ft. Lauderdale, Literacy Walks,
* (2005) Selkirk Manitoba, Principal Training
* (2005) Boys, Literacy, Achievement: A symposium for 500 Ontario educators
* (2005) District 6, New Brunswick, Principal Training
* (2004) Australian Association Research in Educators (AARE) Instructional Leadership* (2004) Halifax Regional School Board, Leadership Training
* (2004) District 2, New Brunswick, Principal Training
* (2004) New Brunswick Association of Superintendents Gendered Responses to Learning
* (2003) American Psychological Association (APA) Learning in a Different Way, Toronto, Ontario
* (2003) International Conference on School Improvement and Effectiveness, Sydney Australia
* (2002) American Educational Research Association - Instructional Leadership – New Orleans
* (2002) Education Accountability and Performance Improvement – School Improvement - Ottawa
* (2002) Bertelsmann Foundation to German Ministries of Education - – System Improvement - Germany
* (2001-2002) Workshop presenter on instructional leadership and system accountability to school districts such as Simcoe, Avon Maitland, Bluewater, Greenstone Superior, York Catholic, Ottawa Carleton French-First-Language
* (2001) International Conference on School Improvement and Effectiveness – Boys and Achievement
* (2001-2002)Ontario Principals Council
*(2002)Western Regional Office, Gender and Technology, London, Ontario.
* (1999-2002) Ministry of Education’s Literacy and Accountability Forums
* 1999-2002) Faculty of Education, University of Toronto
* ( 1995-2002) Faculty of Education, York University
* (1998-2001) Faculty of Education, Queen’s University
* (1994-2002) Ontario Public Supervisory Officers Association
* (1996, 1999) IBM’s Teaching and Learning with Technology, Palisades, New York
* (1999) NCS Learn, Innovations in Technology
* (1999) Canadian Association of School Administrators, Ottawa, Ontario
* (1999) Women in Educational Administration, Conference Organizer
* (1971) BA Honours, University of Toronto,
* (1972) B.Ed. (Honours Specialist), FEUT,
* (1974) Master of Arts (Chinese History), University of Toronto,
* (1984) Masters in the Art of Teaching (Geography), University of Toronto,
* (1989) Principals’ Course, York University,
* (1992) Supervisory Officers’ Qualification,
* (1995) American Association of School Administrators Curriculum Management Audit Training Program,
* (1996) University of Windsor’s Law School, Mediation Certificate,
* (1996) Negotiating for Success, University of Toronto’s Center for Management Studies,
* (2007) Doctorate in Educational Administration, OISE/University of Toronto.
* Strategic Visioning, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), 2014-2015
* Past-President of PDK U-T Chapter, 2013-2015 ongoing involvement in the Chapter as member of the executive
* Former Board Member for Scientists in School, 2010 - ongoing
* Board Member for Teaching Mentors Abroad (Design and deliver summer workshops for system leaders and Ministry, 2016, For principals working in vulnerable communities in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic & Haiti, 2015), 2011- ongoing
* Former Board Member for License2Learn (student to student tutoring), 2011-2014
* Board of Essential Tremor Support Group – Toronto, ongoing